Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall

October 11, 2010

The weather in Houston is gorgeous.  So perfect I want to stay outside, smelling green and surrounded by nature, as if I have all the time in the world.  No deadlines, no responsibilities, no tasks.  I wonder how long it would take before the lack of demands began to feel burdensome, before I grew restless?  Finding the exact right balance of structured time activity and unstructured time?  Do others do this easily?

Competition motivates some people to do their best but for me I function best without the pressure. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I write for myself, to create the book I want to write, not the book that an agent will decide to represent.  Focusing on an agent's acceptance creates strife, not what I want in my writing time.  Writing is not my work but my passion.  And I fully respect that it is others' work and that is a different story.

I love creating the characters and playing with a plotline.  And sometimes I need a break from that.  If I write like I have very little time, then it becomes a push.  So I write like I have all the time in the world.  I do, afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment